It is essential to go beyond mere citation counts when thinking about the impact of your research…
The Becker Medical Library Model for Assessment of Research Impact represents a practical, do-it-yourself tool for tracking the impact of biomedical research. The Model includes guidance for quantifying and documenting research impact as well as resources for locating evidence of research impact. The five stages of the research process represented by the model include:
- Research Output: What was CREATED by a research study? How was the research output DISSEMINATED?
- Knowledge Transfer: How was the research output USED? How was AWARENESS of research output demonstrated?
- Clinical Implementation: How was TRANSLATION of research output into clinical applications demonstrated?
- Community Benefit: How was community health ENHANCED as a result of research output?
- Legislation and Policy Enactment: How did research output INFLUENCE or RESULT in enactment of public law, guidelines, standards or policy?
- Assessing the Impact of Research website
- The Becker Medical Library Model for Assessment of Research Impact
- Beyond citation analysis: a model for assessment of research impact. Sarli CC, Dubinsky EK, Holmes KL. J Med Libr Assoc. 2010 Jan; 98(1):17-23. PMID: 20098647 [PubMed - in process]Related articles Free article